Main Menu

Streaky Glass

Started by Rosenquartz, February 24, 2009, 08:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosenquartz

Hi there,

I've been making lots of red beads lately for some reason (RND) using Effetre Medium Red. On some of the beads I have been getting drak streaks, on barrel bead I made by starting two beads side by side one half was darker than the other, and many of the noses have ended darker - often on one side. I've also had a similar, though less pronounced, problem with Effetre Milk Chocolate Brown developing dark streaks. I guess that i am burning the glass in some way - but could somebody please explain in more detail what the likely problem is because I am fairly sure I am keeping the bead at a fairly consistent place in the flame.

I'm on a HotHead on bulk propane BTW.
Rosenquartz

garishglobes

It could be a question of how much different parts of the glass are striking? Even if the whole bead was kept at the same place in the flame, possibly the difference in thickness could cause a difference in temperature.. just guessing here, I'm sure someone with more knowledge would know more :)

Trudi

I had the same problem to on a minor - someone suggeted once you had the bead done - to re-heat throughly at the top end of the flame. I haven't tried it, but it may help!! For red I have found CIM's sangre to be more consistent - but it is more transparent - guess you could always put down an opaque layer underneath!

Ness

I think I have the same problem, Neil.  Streaky(ish) chocolate brown and on a couple of red beads I have a definite black streak.  Frustrating isn't it?  I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong...